Friday, January 9, 2009

We Found Limburger!!

Forget the economy mess, the bailouts, and the crooked bankers. Right now I'm a very happy camper. We have found our beloved Limburger cheese spread. It is made by the Williams Cheese Company in Linwood, Michigan, under the "Amish Country" label.
I first read about this from another blogger a couple of months ago but could not find any in my local stores. Then on a recent grocery trip I noticed that my local Publix store was carrying three different spreadable cheeses made by Williams. They didn't carry the Limburger spread and I asked if they would start carrying that flavor. I suppose I was the only one in my town to ask for it so they haven't made any effort to stock it.

About a week ago Kim's aunt Audrey cam for a visit along with Sue Massey and Donnie Hodges. And being a wonderful person, Aunt Audrey brought along some of the Limburger! She shared it with us as well as her sisters Faye and Jan in Clearwater. What a great early Christmas present!

So it is available in some stores in the northern Kentucky area. They also sell it online but the shipping costs more than the cheese! So with all the visitors we get at least we can get some from time to time. Now, for my critique: It is a lot thicker than the original Kraft version and it is an off-white/yellowish color unlike the bright white color of Kraft's. The color was of no concern and the thicker version takes a little getting used and Kim said she prefers it this thick.
But the most important part is the flavor. It is perfect! Spread it on some rye bread and add onion and it's just as good as the Kraft brand, if anything, maybe a tad bit milder, but that could be due to not having the older Kraft cheese for so long I can't recall how strong it was. Let me just say that the Williams version is just as good as the Kraft version and some may think even better. See if you can find some for yourself and you be the judge.

1 comment: